On September 24, 2013, Charlottesville Tomorrow and The Daily Progress co-sponsored a candidate forum for the two candidates seeking the Scottsville District seat in the special election for the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
The Republican candidate is Cindi Burket and the Democrat is Jane Dittmar. Four of the six magisterial district seats on the board will be determined in the November 5 election.
About 45 local residents came to the Cale Elementary School to hear the candidates respond to questions posed by the sponsors, the audience, and each other. Read this article for complete coverage by The Daily Progress. The audio podcast is available in the box at right.
- 00:04:30 -- Jane Dittmar
- 00:06:28 -- Cindi Burket
SEVEN MODERATOR QUESTION TOPICS
1. Do you support the construction of the Western Bypass of U.S. 29? Why or why not?
- 00:08:42 -- Burket
- 00:09:58 -- Dittmar
2. Business leaders and social service agencies have told the Albemarle Board of Supervisors that new investments are sorely needed in the area of early childhood education. Will you make pre-K education and quality childcare a priority and if so how?
- 00:12:17 -- Dittmar
- 00:13:41 -- Burket
3. How would you describe the challenges and opportunities facing Albemarle County’s rural farms, fields, and forests?
- 00:16:04 -- Burket
- 00:17:38 -- Dittmar
4. Describe a part of local government that would benefit from increased city and county cooperation and that you would make a priority.
- 00:20:06 -- Dittmar
- 00:22:09 -- Burket
5. Name one specific area of the county budget that you are concerned about and why. Do you think it deserves more funding or less?
- 00:24:14 -- Burket
- 00:25:30 -- Dittmar
6. If real estate tax revenues increase, should Albemarle lower its property tax rate? Why or why not?
- 00:27:42 -- Dittmar
- 00:29:02 -- Burket
7. Please describe your past experience that qualifies you to be on the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
- 00:30:07 -- Burket
- 00:32:18 -- Dittmar
AUDIENCE QUESTIONS -- 00:34:55
- The district has terrific recreational assets that could make Scottsville a hub for tourism in the state with important levels of jobs and stimulus. For example: River recreation, Walnut Creek Park, and eventually Biscuit Run State Park. Shouldn't the county begin planning to link all these assets with a safe biking and walking trail, connecting the city all the way to Scottsville?
- How will you support affordable housing in the urban ring for the people who work and live there?
- How do you see the county enabling our growing senior citizen population to age in place, in particular providing access to transportation?
- Arts and culture leaders recently approved a new cultural plan for Charlottesville-Albemarle. One goal is increased investment in the arts by local government. What do you think is the County’s obligation towards funding the arts and supporting this cultural plan?
- If elected, what will your position be on including the proposed Somerset Farm development in the growth area?
- Do you support the proposed golf course on the Trump properties?
- With the increasing amount of loud music coming from various wineries and Ashlawn, how do you feel about strengthening the noise ordinance to minimize impact on neighbors?
CANDIDATE ASK EACH OTHER QUESTIONS -- 01:00:00
CLOSING STATEMENTS -- 01:08:52