On October 1, 2013, Charlottesville Tomorrow and The Daily Progress co-sponsored a candidate forum for the two candidates seeking election to the Samuel Miller District seat on the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
The Republican incumbent candidate is Duane Snow and the Democratic challenger is Liz Palmer. Four of the six magisterial district seats on the board will be determined in the November 5 election.
About 50 local residents came to the Murray Elementary School to hear the candidates respond to questions posed by the sponsors, the audience, and each other. Read this article for complete coverage by The Daily Progress. The audio podcast is available in the box at right.
- 00:05:05 -- Duane Snow
- 00:08:16 -- Liz Palmer
SEVEN MODERATOR QUESTION TOPICS
1. How would you describe the challenges and opportunities facing Albemarle County’s rural farms, fields, and forests?
- 00:11:48 -- Palmer
- 00:13:42 -- Snow
2. If real estate tax revenues increase, should Albemarle lower its property tax rate? Why or why not?
- 00:15:49 -- Snow
- 00:17:45 -- Palmer
3. Do you support the construction of the Western Bypass of U.S. 29? Why or why not?
- 00:19:55 -- Palmer
- 00:22:07 -- Snow
4. Name one specific area of the county budget that you are concerned about and why. Do you think it deserves more funding or less?
- 00:24:26 -- Snow
- 00:26:12 -- Palmer
5. Business leaders and social service agencies have told the Albemarle Board of Supervisors that new investments are sorely needed in the area of early childhood education. Will you make pre-K education and quality childcare a priority and if so how?
- 00:28:51 -- Palmer
- 00:30:24 -- Snow
6. Describe a part of local government that would benefit from increased city and county cooperation and that you would make a priority.
- 00:32:33 -- Snow
- 00:34:16 -- Palmer
7. Please describe your past experience that qualifies you to be on the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
- 00:36:43 -- Palmer
- 00:38:55 -- Snow
AUDIENCE QUESTIONS -- 00:40:38
- Can you name three things you do not like about the Comprehensive Plan?
- If you are elected would you vote to expand the current boundaries of Albemarle County's designated growth area?
- Arts and culture leaders recently approved a new cultural plan for Charlottesville-Albemarle. One goal is increased investment in the arts by local government. What do you think is the County’s obligation towards funding the arts and supporting this cultural plan?
- How do you see the county enabling our growing senior citizen population to age in place, in particular providing access to transportation?
- Would you support any initiative to create a living wage standard or to raise the minimum wage?
- What role should local government play to promote and increase the use of (non-carbon) renewable energy sources by county residents, businesses, and government?
- If you have an opportunity to insist that federal officials do a cost-benefit analysis directly comparing the proposed bypass to direct improvements to Route 29 prior to spending tax dollars to build it, would you support doing so?
CANDIDATE ASK EACH OTHER QUESTIONS -- 01:06:16
CLOSING STATEMENTS -- 01:17:07