Eric Strucko is a candidate for the Samuel Miller District seat on the Albemarle County School Board. Three of seven seats on board will be determined in the November 5 election. Strucko is the incumbent and is uncontested.
Each candidate was interviewed by Charlottesville Tomorrow and asked 9 questions about their qualifications, priorities and important education issues. Included in the box at the right are links to the full transcript and audio recording of those interviews (also available on iTunes).
Highlights of all the candidate responses are available in this downloadable 2013 Voter Guide.
Bio: I have dedicated myself to life-long learning, particularly as I fulfill professional responsibilities and engage in civic work. These values guided my efforts during the last four years as I served on the Albemarle County School Board. I tried to represent the views of parents, students, and teachers and meet their high standards and expectations of educational excellence. I plan to continue this work with transparency, honesty, and energy. I also commit to improving public accessibility to School Board proceedings, and to staying involved at the school level on issues that warrant the attention of elected officials.
A.A., Piedmont Virginia Community College (2007)
B.A., Vanderbilt University (1987)
M.P.A., George Washington University (1992)
M.P.P., Georgetown University (1995)
M.P.H., University of Virginia (2012)
Ph.D. Candidate (ABD), Virginia Commonwealth University
Occupation: Chief Financial Officer, University of Virginia Physicians Group
Previous Political Experience: Incumbent School Board Member; Albemarle County Planning Commission
Age on Election Day: 48
Neighborhood or area of residence: Ivy
Family: Wife: Laurie Strucko; Son: David Strucko, age 15, rising sophomore at Western Albemarle High School; Daughter: Claire Strucko, age 11, rising 6th grader, Henley Middle School.
Other interests and experiences
- Vice President and Director of Financial Planning, CFA Institute (1999-2007).
- Manager of Finance and Director of Budget, University of Virginia Medical Center (1995-1999).
- Albemarle County Planning Commission (2006-2009)
- Albemarle County Public Schools Long Range Planning Advisory Committee (2006-2009)
- Meriwether Lewis Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization (2003-2007)
- Miller School of Albemarle Board of Trustees (2002-2005)
- Free Union Country School Board of Trustees (2000-2005)
Selected Community Service:
- Western Albemarle Rescue Squad Paramedic and Treasurer (2002-2008)
- Earlysville Volunteer Fire Company Firefighter, President, Treasurer (2000-2005)
- Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce, Government Affairs Committee (2000-2005)
Telephone: (434) 973-3815