CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - At their work session on February 6, 2016, City Council discussed potential revisions to procedures to help ensure more efficient Council meetings while also expanding the opportunity to hear from a variety of citizens during public comment.
- Publicly post Council's governing procedures on the City's website in a prominent location
- Closer adherence to Robert's Rules of Order in deliberations, including through formal motions and discussion periods
- Incorporate most work sessions into the second Council meeting each month
- Allot a maximum of 20 minutes for presentation and discussion of most agenda items
- Limit most Councilor comments to 3 minutes, the same limit as comments by members of the public
- Establish new guidelines for Councilor inquiries to City staff, in order to improve operational efficiencies
- Expand opportunities to speak during the first public comment period by allowing requests in advance by email and and/or telephone, which will be chosen through a random selection process for speaking slots and a wait-list