Support Us Subscribe to Our EMail

Subscribe
To Our Weekly Newsletter

Send Us a Tip
Monticello works to bring stories of enslaved women, girls to light
The Daily Progress Sunday, October 08, 2017 at 10 p.m.

The little stone building on top of the mountain can tell countless stories about the women and girls who spent their lives in bondage to the third president of the United States — and historians at Monticello hope to finally give a voice to their stories.

As the third-oldest building on the mountaintop, the textile workshop on Mulberry Row was one of the most versatile spaces in Thomas Jefferson’s realm. Built in 1778, the two-room building was first used to house white workmen who came to the mountaintop to help build Jefferson’s home and teach some of his enslaved men advanced carpentry skills.

By the time Jefferson left Virginia to serve as minister to France in Paris in 1784, the building was used as quarters for the enslaved workers who continued to build Monticello after the paid labor left.

Read More »

Click for more information
Topics History  
Charlottesville Tomorrow’s comment policy
comments powered by Disqus