The University of Virginia Facilities Management Department will host girls between the ages of 10 and 16 to participate in various planned activities to increase young women’s interest in and education of construction and the building trades. With more than 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of UVA’s buildings, infrastructure and grounds. The event will include behind-the-scenes tours of jobsites and an afternoon exhibitor fair with hands-on activities and games.
Approximately 80 young girls (ages 10-16) from the Charlottesville area will spend the morning touring the following work sites:
- Main Heat Plant
- Carr’s Hill renovation project site
- Facilities Management shops (cabinet shop, sheet metal shop and sign shop)
Exhibitor fair with 30 different vendors and UVA groups hosting the following hands-on activities:
- Masonry: bricklaying demonstration
- Carpentry: woodworking and blueprint activity
- Plumbing: sewer pipe snake camera and pipe fusing demo
- Electrical: circuit demo with Snap Circuits
- Virtual reality of construction projects
- Building models and games
Keynote speaker during lunch will be Carla Williams, who was named the University of Virginia’s director of athletics last fall. Williams was previously an athletics administrator at the University of Georgia for 13 years.
WHO: Sponsored by the University of Virginia Facilities Management Department.
WHEN: Thursday, June 14, 2018 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Morning tours will take place from 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Lunch and speaker from 12-1 p.m. Exhibitor fair from 1-3 p.m.
WHERE: Morning tours at various locations around the University of Virginia, lunch at UVA baseball stadium and afternoon exhibitor fair at Zehmer Hall.