6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
1. Call to Order.
2. Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Moment of Silence.
4. Adoption of Final Agenda.
5. Brief Announcements by Board Members.
6.1. Russell “Mac” Lafferty, Jack Jouett District, Planning Commissioner
7. From the Public: Matters Not Listed for Public Hearing on the Agenda.
8. Consent Agenda (see below)
11. SP201700024 By Word of Mouth Automotive.
PROJECT: SP201700024 – By Word of Mouth Automotive
MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT: Rio
TAX MAP/PARCEL(S): 061W0010C00100
LOCATION: 446 Westfield Road, Charlottesville, VA 22902
PROPOSAL: Motor vehicle sales as an accessory use to automobile repair service on 0.76-acre parcel.
PETITION: Motor vehicle sales and rental under Section 18-22.2.2-(8) of the zoning ordinance. No new dwellings proposed.
ZONING: C1 Commercial – retail sales and service; residential by special use permit (15 units/ acre)
ENTRANCE CORRIDOR (EC): Yes.
OVERLAY DISTRICT(S): Airport Impact Area (AIA) and Steep Slopes – Managed.
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN: Urban Mixed Use – Neighborhood Service Center in Neighborhood 1, which allows for commercial, retail, and employment uses with supporting residential (3-20 units/acre).
(Tim Padalino, Senior Planner)
10. SP201700004 James River Runners.
MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT: Scottsville
TAX MAP/PARCEL(S): 13600-00-00-012A0, 13600-00-00-014A0
LOCATION: 10092 Hatton Ferry Rd
PROPOSAL: Amend special use permit SP197800074 for canoe livery by expanding the camping area accessory to the canoe livery to allow 5 campsites on a new parcel of 1.8 acres (13600-00-00-014A0)
PETITION: Expansion of canoe livery with accessory camping under Section 10.2.2.29 of the Zoning Ordinance, which permits boat landings and canoe liveries.
ZONING: RA Rural Area - agricultural, forestal, and fishery uses; residential density (0.5 unit/acre in development lots) OVERLAY DISTRICT(S): Flood Hazard Overlay District COMPREHENSIVE PLAN: Rural Area – preserve and protect agricultural, forestal, open space, and natural, historic and scenic resources; residential (0.5 unit/ acre in development lots).
(David Fox, Neighborhood Planner)
9. SP201700018 Rivanna Solar.
PROJECT: SP201700018 Rivanna Solar Project
MAGISTERIAL DISTRICT: Scottsville
09400-00-00-017A0 LOCATION: 2631 Buck Island Rd
PROPOSAL: Solar-energy electrical generation facility, with solar panels occupying approximately 90 acres
PETITION: Solar energy system allowed by special use permit under section 10.2.2.58 of the Zoning Ordinance on a 149-acre parcel. No new dwelling units proposed.
ZONING: RA Rural Area - agricultural, forestal, and fishery uses; residential density (0.5 unit/acre in development lots)
OVERLAY DISTRICT(S): Entrance Corridor, Flood Hazard Overlay District
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN: Rural Area – preserve and protect agricultural, forestal, open space, and natural, historic and scenic resources; residential (0.5 unit/ acre in development lots).
(Scott Clark, Senior Planner)
12. Electoral Board and Registrar-Proposed New Voting Precincts and Voting Locations. To receive comments on its intent to adopt an ordinance to amend sections 2-101, 2-103, 2-105, and 2-106 of Article I, Elections, of Chapter 2, Administration, of the Albemarle County Code. The proposed ordinance would: Consolidate the Belfield Precinct into the Jack Jouett Precinct; Establish Jack Jouett Middle School, 210 Lambs Lane, Charlottesville, Virginia 22901 as the polling place for the consolidated Jack Jouett Precinct; Divide the current Free Bridge Precinct into the Free Bridge Precinct and the Pantops Precinct; Establish Broadus Memorial Baptist Church, 1525 Stony Point Road, Charlottesville, Virginia 22911 as the Pantops Precinct polling place; Divide the current Cale Precinct into the Cale Precinct and the Biscuit Run Precinct; Establish Monticello High School, 1400 Independence Way, Charlottesville, Virginia 22902 as the Biscuit Run Precinct polling place; Remove a portion of the current Crozet Precinct and a portion of the current Brownsville Precinct to create the Mechums River Precinct; and Establish Western Albemarle High School, 5941 Rockfish Gap Turnpike, Crozet, Virginia 22932 as the Mechums River Precinct polling place.
(John Blair, Deputy County Attorney)
13. Ordinance to Amend County Code Chapter 5, Building Regulations. To receive public comment on its intent to adopt an ordinance to amend Chapter 5, Building Regulations, of the Albemarle County Code by: reorganizing the chapter; amending § 5-104 (Violation and penalty) to specify that violations of the building code shall be punishable and shall be abated as provided in Virginia Code § 36-106; amending § 5-200 (Permit and inspection fees, generally) to allow for payment of fees by commercially acceptable means other than cash or check, and to require the department of community development to keep an accurate account of all fees collected; amending § 5-203 (Fees for plumbing permits) to specify fees for plumbing permits in use groups F-1 and F-2; amending § 5-205 (Fees for amusement devices) to provide that fees for amusement devices shall be as provided in the Virginia Amusement Device Regulations (Chapter 31, Agency 5, Title 13 of the Virginia Administrative Code); amending existing § 5-208 (Fees for other permits, plan amendments, and reinspections) to remove fees for amusement device permits from that section; amending § 5-300 (Order to remove, repair, or secure) to eliminate the requirement of the Building Official to order the removal, repair, or securing of unsafe buildings and structures before the removal, repair, or securing of the unsafe buildings and structures, consistent with Virginia Code § 15.2-906; deleting existing § 5-301 (Authority of building official to remove, repair or secure); amending and reorganizing existing §5-302 (Recovery of costs if building official removes, repairs or secures; lien) as a new § 5-301 that follows Virginia Code § 15.2-906(3) and §15.2-906(4); adding a new § 5-302 (Demolition or removal of certain structures) to allow the County to demolish or remove certain derelict nonresidential buildings or structures with the written consent of the property owner, consistent with Virginia Code § 15.2-906(5); amending §5-400 (Applicability) to make the building code pertaining to smoke detectors apply to all dwelling units instead of just buildings or structures containing four or more dwelling units, and making other non-substantive stylistic amendments or amendments to track current State law.
(Andy Herrick, Senior Assistant County Attorney)
14. From the Board: Committee Reports and Matters Not Listed on the Agenda.
15. From the County Executive: Report on Matters Not Listed on the Agenda.
16. Closed Meeting. (if needed)
17. Adjourn to March 27, 2018, 3:00 p.m., Room 241.
8. FOR APPROVAL (by recorded vote):
8.1. 18-234 Approval of Minutes: December 13, 2017
8.2. 18-222 FY 2018 Appropriation
8.3. 18-211 Ordinance to Amend County Code Chapter 2, Administration
8.4 Ordinance to Amend County Code Chapter 3, Agricultural and Forestal Districts
8.5. 18-225 Rio29 Small Area Plan - NMD Priority Review Process
8.6 Resolution of Intent to Amend the Zoning Ordinance to Allow Beekeeping in Residential Zoning Districts
8.7 Request for Special Exception to parking setback for Farm Sales under
Section 5.1.58(h) 3 of the Zoning Ordinance
8. FOR INFORMATION (no vote necessary):
8.8. 18-213 Biennial Inspections for all Housing Choice Voucher Units
8.9. 18-229 2017 Fourth Quarter Building Report
8.10. 18-231 2017 Fourth Quarter Certificate of Occupancy Report
8.11. 18-232 2017 Year End Building Report
8.12. 18-233 2017 Year End Certificate of Occupancy Report
8.13. 18-218 VDoT Monthly Report (March) 2018
401 McIntire Rd
Charlottesville VA, 22902
Albemarle Info: 434-296-5822
Clerk's office: 434-296-5843