Awards honor local founders of entrepreneurial, civic and artistic initiatives
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (May 17, 2017) – Nominations open today for the Tom Tom Foundation’s fourth annual “Founding Cville” awards. This initiative of the Tom Tom Foundation honors Charlottesville-area founders whose groundbreaking and original work has had a local, national, or global impact. Past honorees have included artists, civic leaders, and entrepreneurs, and represent some of the most acclaimed innovators and leaders in Charlottesville.
“Tom Tom is dedicated to celebrating and encouraging founders--individuals who not only had a great idea, but also had the drive and perseverance to turn their idea into a reality,” said Tom Tom Founders Festival director festival director, Paul Beyer. “We recognize both up-and-coming founders, as well as well-established founders. The common thread is that all of our honorees have committed their personal, social and financial capital to making our community better.”
Award recipients will be honored at a special ceremony during the Sept. 22, 2017 Tomtoberfest Fall Block Party in downtown Charlottesville’s Lee Park. Recipients’ portraits will be displayed on the Downtown Mall throughout the month of September.
Nominating Cville Founders
The Tom Tom Foundation encourages members of the public to nominate candidates who have founded or cofounded a project, business, or organization in Charlottesville or Albemarle County. Founding Cville recipients will be selected by past Founding Cville recipients and the Tom Tom Advisory Board. Criteria for Founding Cville nominations include:
- The individual has founded or cofounded a civic, entrepreneurial, or cultural initiative in Charlottesville or Albemarle County.
- The individual has taken risks and displayed leadership to realize a vision.
- The project has had positive local, national, or even global impact.
- The individual is a positive example and role model to aspiring founders, and communicates positive narratives about the entire community.
- The individual is presently working on or building his or her idea. Posthumous recognitions may be granted to founders who have passed away within the last two years.
- Nominations can be made at tomtomfest.com/foundingcville; the deadline for submitting a nomination is Friday, June 2 at 11:59 p.m.
In its first three years, the Founding Cville initiative generated hundreds of nominations and granted awards to 36 individuals. Full bios, as well as interviews with previous award recipients, can be found at tomtomfest.com/foundingcville:
- Lynne Easton, Cofounder, Easton Events, Founder & Easton Porter Group
- Monica Gray, Cofounder, DreamWakers
- Cynthia Lorenzoni, Cofounder, Ragged Mountain Running
- Jaffray Woodriff, Founder, Quantitative Investment Management
- Brian Calhoun, Founder, Rockbridge Guitar
- Sandy Reisky, Founder, Apex Clean Energy
- Ty Cooper, Founder, Lifeview Marketing
- Gabriele Rausse, a Father of Virginia Wine
- Ludwig Kuttner, Developer and Cofounder, IX Art Park
- Boyd Tinsley, Founding member, Dave Matthews Band & the BAMA Works Fund
- Michael Mallory, Cofounder, Ron Brown Scholar Program
- Tom Burford, A father of the Virginia Cider movement
- Phil Wendel, Founder, ACAC
- Deb McMahon, Cofounder, Scitent
- Neal Kassell, MD, Founder, Focused Ultrasound Foundation
- Kathryne Carr (In Memoriam), Mentor and Investor
- Jennifer Hoyt Tidwell, Cofounder, CLAW
- Zach Buckner, Founder, Relay Foods
- Wendy Brown, Cofounder, Community Investment Collaborative (CIC)
- Dr. Benton Calhoun, Cofounder, PsiKick
- Sara Clayborne, Cofounder, Charlottesville Ballet
- Kate Collier, Cofounder, Local Food Hub
- Bill Crutchfield, Founder, Crutchfield Corporation
- Greg Fairchild, Founder, Prison Entrepreneurship Project
- Robin Felder, Founder, Global Cell Solutions
- Matt Hantzmon, Cofounder, HelioSage Energy
- John Herr, Founder, SpermCheck
- Spencer Ingram, Cofounder, HackCville
- Marcia Invernizzi, Founder, PALS Marketplace
- Dr. Marcus Martin, Founder, UVA’s Emergency Medicine Center
- Jessica Nagle, Cofounder, LOOK3 Festival of the Photograph & SNL Financial
- Brynne Potter, Cofounder, Maternity Neighborhood
- Alan Rimm-Kaufman, Founder, RKG
- Gabe Silverman, Architect & Developer
- Mark Thompson, Cofounder, Starr Hill Brewery
- Rob Vaughan, Founder, Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
Tom Tom’s fall block party, Tomtoberfest, will be held September 22 and 23 in Lee Park, marking the Festival’s sixth annual end-of-summer bash. The event will feature a two-day concert series, a regional tech mixer, a mid-Atlantic craft fair, local food trucks, craft beer, and family activities. A full schedule will be available soon at www.tomtomfest.com.