The newly drawn Virginia House District 53 covers Amherst County and parts of Nelson and Bedford counties. Tim Griffin (R) and Sam Soghor (D) were nominated by their parties to represent the new district in the Virginia House of Delegates.
Charlottesville Tomorrow sent a few questions to state candidates, informed by over 200 responses to a voter survey this summer. Neither Griffin nor Soghor responded to requests to participate, made to the email addresses they registered with their candidacy.
More about the candidates for to represent the 53th District in the House of Delegates
- Campaign finances for this race, from the Virginia Public Access Project
- More about the 53rd District, from Virginia Public Access Project
- An October report in Politico about Griffin’s record as an election attorney trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election
- A Cardinal News report on Griffin’s nomination in the primaries
- A news report about an Oct. 25 candidate forum, for subscribers of the News & Advance
- A report about questions over Griffin’s residence, in Cardinal News
- Virginia Public Access Project’s Pre-Election Campaign Finance Reports
- More about the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) from Charlottesville Tomorrow
As you get ready to vote, here are some key dates and links from the Virginia Department of Elections:
Polls in Virginia close at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, night. The Virginia Department of Elections will publish election results in real time, as they arrive from precincts around the state. To view them, head to this link. These are unofficial results until they are certified. Here’s more about how to get election results.
- Sept. 22: First day of in-person early voting at your local registrar’s office.
- Oct. 16: Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration. You can also register after this date, and on election day, but you will vote with a provisional ballot, could take longer for officials to count because they will verify your eligibility.
- Oct. 27: Deadline to apply for a ballot to be mailed to you. Your request must be received by your local registrar by 5:00 p.m.
- Oct. 28: Voter registration offices open for early voting.
- Nov. 4: The last day of in-person early voting at your registrar.
- Nov. 7: Election Day. Here is where you can find your polling place.
Need to know if you’re eligible to vote? Here are resources from the Virginia Department of Elections.