Voter Guide: There is one certified candidate on the ballot to represent the 56th District in the Virginia House of Delegates
The newly drawn Virginia House District 56 covers Appomattox and Buckingham counties, and parts of Fluvanna, Goochland, Prince Edward and Louisa counties. Tom Garrett (R) is the only certified candidate seeking to represent the new district in the Virginia House of Delegates.
Garrett represented the 22nd District in the Senate from 2011 to 2017, and then spent one term representing the 5th District in the House. He did not seek reelection in 2019, and is returning after the hiatus.
Charlottesville Tomorrow sent a few questions to state candidates, informed by over 200 responses to a voter survey this summer. Garrett did not respond to requests to participate, made to the email addresses where he registered his candidacy.
More about the candidates for to represent the 56th District in the House of Delegates
- Campaign finances for this race, from the Virginia Public Access Project
- More about the 56th District, from Virginia Public Access Project
- A Cardinal News report about Garrett’s primary win
- A report about Garrett’s divorce and allegations of abuse, for subscribers to the Daily Progress
- A report on Garrett’s return to politics, for subscribers to the Richmond Times-Dispatch
- A report about Democratic write-in candidate Thomas Jordan Miles III, for subscribers to the Daily Progress
- A 2018 report in Politico about Garrett’s conduct in office
- Virginia Public Access Project’s Pre-Election Campaign Finance Reports
- More about the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) from Charlottesville Tomorrow