In Virginia, Boards of Supervisors govern counties and are elected to four-year terms. Buckingham County’s Board of Supervisors has seven members, one for each district.
Two candidates are certified by the Virginia Department of Elections in the race to represent District 4: Walter E. “Wes” Saxon Jr. and Paul W. Garrett. Both candidates are newcomers to the Board of Supervisors. Saxon served on the Buckingham County School Board from 2000 to 2007.
Charlottesville Tomorrow sent the candidates questions based on more than 200 responses we received to a voter survey. Neither returned the questionnaire.
More links about the Buckingham County Board of Supervisors
- Saxon’s campaign contributions, from the Virginia Public Access Project
- Garrett’s campaign contributions, from the Virginia Public Access Project
- Q&As with the candidates, in the Farmville Herald
- A report from NBC about baseless voter fraud claims in Buckingham County, the resignations and firing of registrar, and how early voting is underway
As you get ready to vote, here are some key dates and links from the Virginia Department of Elections:
Polls in Virginia close at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, night. The Virginia Department of Elections will publish election results in real time, as they arrive from precincts around the state. To view them, head to this link. These are unofficial results until they are certified. Here’s more about how to get election results.
- Sept. 22: First day of in-person early voting at your local registrar’s office.
- Oct. 16: Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration. You can also register after this date, and on election day, but you will vote with a provisional ballot, could take longer for officials to count because they will verify your eligibility.
- Oct. 27: Deadline to apply for a ballot to be mailed to you. Your request must be received by your local registrar by 5:00 p.m.
- Oct. 28: Voter registration offices open for early voting.
- Nov. 4: The last day of in-person early voting at your registrar.
- Nov. 7: Election Day. Here is where you can find your polling place.
Need to know if you’re eligible to vote? Here are resources from the Virginia Department of Elections.