Charlottesville Tomorrow seeks a dynamic Lead Reporter to strengthen its mission-driven public service newsroom and help lead its audience growth strategies. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience covering important local issues, generating creative story ideas and formats, building source networks, leading community-newsroom engagement practices, and producing excellent, timely, and relevant public service journalism on a consistent basis.
The Lead Reporter will lead by example in Charlottesville Tomorrow’s small public service newsroom, with a particular focus on growing the impact and relevance of its news coverage, diversifying its perspectives, developing its source and information network, prioritizing important and timely stories, and mentoring the newsroom’s junior reporters.
The Lead Reporter will work closely with the News Editor and the other two reporters to develop an impactful, sustainable model for public service journalism in Central Virginia.
- Lead our in-depth, solutions, and feature reporting initiatives
- Cover the most important issues before local government, nonprofit, and community decision-making bodies
- Develop and maintain trusted source networks among community leaders, elected officials, decision-makers, and influencers in our coverage area
- Mentor junior reporters and help to create an inspiring, effective nonprofit journalism newsroom
- Take a leading role in building trust, accountability, and transparency with our communities of readers and partners
- Specific goals and objectives in each area shall be set by the Executive Director and News Editor in conversation with the Board of Directors.
SALARY RANGE: $50-75K, based on skills and experience.
Charlottesville Tomorrow is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking diversity in its newsroom.
To apply for this position, please e-mail a cover letter and resume, along with clips, to firstname.lastname@example.org.