On October 22, 2013, Charlottesville Tomorrow and The Daily Progress co-sponsored a candidate forum for the two candidates seeking election to the Jack Jouett District seat on the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
About 25 local residents came to Jack Jouett Middle School to hear the candidates respond to questions posed by the sponsors, the audience, and each other. Read this article for complete coverage by The Daily Progress. The audio podcast is available in the box at right.
SEVEN MODERATOR QUESTION TOPICS
1. If real estate tax revenues increase, should Albemarle lower its property tax rate? Why or why not?
2. Do you support the construction of the Western Bypass of U.S. 29? Why or why not?
3. Describe a part of local government that would benefit from increased city and county cooperation and that you would make a priority?
4. Please describe your past experience that qualifies you to be on the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
5. Business leaders and social service agencies have told the Albemarle Board of Supervisors that new investments are sorely needed in the area of early childhood education. Will you make pre-K education and quality childcare a priority and if so how?
6. How would you describe the challenges and opportunities facing Albemarle County’s rural farms, fields, and forests?
7. Name one specific area of the county budget that you are concerned about and why. Do you think it deserves more funding or less?
AUDIENCE QUESTIONS — 00:37:30
CANDIDATES ASK EACH OTHER QUESTIONS — 01:01:00