On September 24, 2013, Charlottesville Tomorrow and The Daily Progress co-sponsored a candidate forum for the two candidates seeking the Scottsville District seat in the special election for the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
About 45 local residents came to the Cale Elementary School to hear the candidates respond to questions posed by the sponsors, the audience, and each other. Read this article for complete coverage by The Daily Progress. The audio podcast is available in the box at right.
SEVEN MODERATOR QUESTION TOPICS
1. Do you support the construction of the Western Bypass of U.S. 29? Why or why not?
2. Business leaders and social service agencies have told the Albemarle Board of Supervisors that new investments are sorely needed in the area of early childhood education. Will you make pre-K education and quality childcare a priority and if so how?
3. How would you describe the challenges and opportunities facing Albemarle County’s rural farms, fields, and forests?
4. Describe a part of local government that would benefit from increased city and county cooperation and that you would make a priority.
5. Name one specific area of the county budget that you are concerned about and why. Do you think it deserves more funding or less?
6. If real estate tax revenues increase, should Albemarle lower its property tax rate? Why or why not?
7. Please describe your past experience that qualifies you to be on the Albemarle Board of Supervisors.
AUDIENCE QUESTIONS — 00:34:55
CANDIDATE ASK EACH OTHER QUESTIONS — 01:00:00
CLOSING STATEMENTS — 01:08:52