For Immediate Release
Saturday, October 1, 2016
The Lewis & Clark Exploratory Center, which opened to the public this past May, continues to expand its permanent collection of Lewis and Clark related artifacts. Recent acquisitions include 19th Century trading beads of a variety of colors; a rare 1901 Lewis and Clark ten dollar bill; and a 1904 World’s Fair tin cup that celebrates the Centennial of the Louisiana Purchase. Beads were part of the cargo on the 55 ft. long Keelboat for trading with Native Americans. One bead could provide a salmon for the explorers.
The highlight of the new additions is the 18th Century map that shows the birthplace of Meriwether Lewis in Ivy. This map is on semi-permanent loan from Jane Henley, a descendant of Jane Lewis, Meriwether Lewis’s sister. Both the Lewis and the Clark families had their roots in Albemarle County. The Lewis & Clark Exploratory Center is located on land that was once granted to the Clark family.
Next Saturday, October 8, the Center will be unveiling the new items in its collection as part of its Third Annual Boats & Butterflies Festival. The Keelboat Missouri River journey of the Expedition is celebrated during the festival. There are Keelboat tour of the replica Keelboat as well as family rides in the Rivanna River on smaller wooden boats called pirogues. These pirogues are made by high school students during Center programs.
The Lewis & Clark Exploratory Center is open to the public Fridays and Saturdays from 10 to 4. Members enter free; admission for non-members is $7 per person.
For more information, or to schedule a tour of the collection, please contact Executive Director Alexandria Searls at 434-996-7282, or at firstname.lastname@example.org