In Virginia, sheriffs are constitutional officers elected to four-year terms. They are responsible for their community’s law enforcement, jail administration, court security and civil processing. While some sheriff’s department’s handle law enforcement directly, others cede that responsibility to local police departments.
R.N. “Robby” Richardson is running unopposed for Appomattox County Sheriff. Richardson is currently a major in the Appomattox County Sheriff’s Office.
Though Richardson is the only candidate certified by the Virginia Department of Elections, voters can write-in other candidates.
Charlottesville Tomorrow designed a questionnaire for Richardson based on more than 200 responses we received to a voter survey. He did not return answers.
More links about the Appomattox County Sheriff’s Office
- Richardson’s campaign contributions, from the Virginia Public Access Project
- A story about School Resource Officers that quotes Richardson, from ABC13
- A story about outgoing Sheriff Don Simpson’s efforts to fund a full-time magistrate for Madison County, from the Times Virginian
As you get ready to vote, here are some key dates and links from the Virginia Department of Elections:
Polls in Virginia close at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, night. The Virginia Department of Elections will publish election results in real time, as they arrive from precincts around the state. To view them, head to this link. These are unofficial results until they are certified. Here’s more about how to get election results.
- Sept. 22: First day of in-person early voting at your local registrar’s office.
- Oct. 16: Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration. You can also register after this date, and on election day, but you will vote with a provisional ballot, could take longer for officials to count because they will verify your eligibility.
- Oct. 27: Deadline to apply for a ballot to be mailed to you. Your request must be received by your local registrar by 5:00 p.m.
- Oct. 28: Voter registration offices open for early voting.
- Nov. 4: The last day of in-person early voting at your registrar.
- Nov. 7: Election Day. Here is where you can find your polling place.
Need to know if you’re eligible to vote? Here are resources from the Virginia Department of Elections.