In Virginia, Boards of Supervisors govern counties and are elected to four-year terms. Cumberland County’s Board of Supervisors has five members, one for each district.
Robert K. Saunders Jr. is running unopposed for the District 5 seat. If elected, this will be his second term in the position. He first won in 2019, ousting then-incumbent Parker Wheeler.
Saunders is the only candidate certified by the Virginia Department of Elections, though voters can write in other candidates’ names if they choose.
Charlottesville Tomorrow sent Saunders a questionnaire based on more than 200 responses we received to a voter survey. He did not return answers.
More links about Cumberland County Board of Supervisors
- Saunders’ campaign contributions, from the Virginia Public Access Project
- Story about Saunders seeking a second term, for subscribers to The Farmville Herald
As you get ready to vote, here are some key dates and links from the Virginia Department of Elections:
Polls in Virginia close at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, night. The Virginia Department of Elections will publish election results in real time, as they arrive from precincts around the state. To view them, head to this link. These are unofficial results until they are certified. Here’s more about how to get election results.
- Sept. 22: First day of in-person early voting at your local registrar’s office.
- Oct. 16: Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration. You can also register after this date, and on election day, but you will vote with a provisional ballot, could take longer for officials to count because they will verify your eligibility.
- Oct. 27: Deadline to apply for a ballot to be mailed to you. Your request must be received by your local registrar by 5:00 p.m.
- Oct. 28: Voter registration offices open for early voting.
- Nov. 4: The last day of in-person early voting at your registrar.
- Nov. 7: Election Day. Here is where you can find your polling place.
Need to know if you’re eligible to vote? Here are resources from the Virginia Department of Elections.