In Virginia, county school boards are composed of one member from each district in that county, and sometimes include an at-large member. Board members are elected to four-year terms and serve as the leaders of the school districts by setting the policies and hiring the superintendent, among other duties. The Appomattox County School Board has five members, one from each district.
Roger Stough is the incumbent candidate running for the Falling River District seat on the Appomattox County School Board. He was appointed to the position in December 2020 after the previous board member resigned. Stough then won the general election for the seat in November 2021 in an unopposed race. If elected, this will be Stough’s first full term.
Stough is the only candidate certified by the Virginia Department of Elections, though voters can write in other candidates’ names if they choose.
Charlottesville Tomorrow designed a questionnaire based on more than 200 responses we received to a voter survey. Stough did not return answers.
More links about the Appomattox County School Board
- Stough’s campaign contributions, from the Virgina Public Access Project
- Story about Stough being appointed to fill the board vacancy, in The Times Virginian
- The Virginia School Quality report for Appomattox County Public Schools
As you get ready to vote, here are some key dates and links from the Virginia Department of Elections:
Polls in Virginia close at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, night. The Virginia Department of Elections will publish election results in real time, as they arrive from precincts around the state. To view them, head to this link. These are unofficial results until they are certified. Here’s more about how to get election results.
- Sept. 22: First day of in-person early voting at your local registrar’s office.
- Oct. 16: Deadline to register to vote, or update an existing registration. You can also register after this date, and on election day, but you will vote with a provisional ballot, could take longer for officials to count because they will verify your eligibility.
- Oct. 27: Deadline to apply for a ballot to be mailed to you. Your request must be received by your local registrar by 5:00 p.m.
- Oct. 28: Voter registration offices open for early voting.
- Nov. 4: The last day of in-person early voting at your registrar.
- Nov. 7: Election Day. Here is where you can find your polling place.
Need to know if you’re eligible to vote? Here are resources from the Virginia Department of Elections.